If you were sent here by Scary Mommy, welcome! (All, uh, thousands of you! I’m like 70% sure the blog won’t break from all the traffic, so, please, get comfortable!) Allow me to make some introductions. This is my daughter, Esmé, a.k.a. The Cute. I’m Hillary, Esmé’s Maman (that’s French for Mom).
Here are a few things you should know about me, Esmé, The Cute Syndrome Blog.
1. My daughter Esmé, a.k.a The Cute, is the inspiration for this blog. She is five and basically the best human I know. She is not the child I imagined parenting, but only because I wasn’t inspired enough to envision her.
2. In addition to writing here about Esmé, I have another blog called Mom, Imperfectly where I write about some of my hobbies–including inventing cocktails that pair well with existential crisis, boxing, and documenting Esmé’s wardrobe choices.
3. One time I dressed up a $8000 piece of Esmé’s medical equipment up like a gorilla so that Esmé could be Dr. Dian Fossey for Halloween. Dressing Esmé up as strong historical figures is a bit of family tradition–check out Esmé’s primer on costumes.
4. Last year I wrote two medical memoirs about Esmé, published by Ponies + Horses Books. The first book, Around and Into the Unknown is all about the mysterious journey into Esmé’s genes. The second book, Whoosh, tells the story of Esmé’s cardiac arrest.
5. I write about my daughter for all kinds of reasons…not the least of which is maintaining my sanity…but mostly? Mostly I write about Esmé because I want to share her with all of you. I want to help build a world that is better prepared for her–a world that better understands her, her needs, and needs of other children like her. I write for the person who is going to find themselves around a child like Esmé–whether that baby is handed to them in the delivery room, or is the child of their friend or loved one, or is a classmate their own kids, or just another child in line in a public restroom. And, here’s the thing: That’s all of us.
Thanks for stopping by to check us out. We are so pleased to meet you! Feel free to explore and don’t forget to check out some of my favorite posts.
Alright, I’m off to stare at my analytics some more…